I was up until 2 AM this morning…changing things around in my house for fall. Yes, I know. It is crazy.
But I love it!—and I look forward to “doing the change” every single season in my house. Art pieces get moved to new locations, different linens make their appearances, accessories are swapped and—while most of the furniture stayed in the same place this time—the house suddenly looks new again. Fab-u-lous. This makes me happy. Every. Single. Time.
This year I’ve been waiting to make the changes and get the heirloom pumpkins and the little tiny gourds that I usually use as my finishing touches. I like to have everything all cleaned and in place before I go pick them out and I like to pick out ones with “character”—kind of like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree-type character. (grin) I thought it was just something that entertained me—and that’s totally worth it—but this week I learned that it also entertains my husband! I was talking about how I loved the fall season Tuesday night when my husband asked when I’d be picking up some pumpkins for the season. I told him how I’d gone and looked at some that very day, but then I said, “But, I’ve been forcing myself to wait until October, you know, so they’ll last longer here…maybe even into Thanksgiving.” He just looked at me and said, “Honey, October starts TO-MOR-ROW.”
I felt like an idiot at first, but then I got really excited! I could go get my pumpkins!! Well, that didn’t actually happen until today, but last night I just couldn’t sleep because I wanted to make sure that everything was ready for the pumpkins…and more importantly, for my friend Jody who will arrive later today. I get her for just a couple of very short hours on her way to see her precious daughter!! JOY!!!
Normally, my weekend challenges involve something about making the people around us a little happier, but this week, I’d like us to focus on making ourselves a little happier. Do something that is fun for YOU! In case it’s been so long that you’re a bit rusty on this, I’ll share a few things on my list for this weekend:
- Decorate for the season—no matter what hemisphere you happen to be in at the moment!
- Plant some new pots for your porch or your kitchen window—something you’ll see coming and going over the next few weeks!
- Make a big pot of chili or red beans and rice and call in some help to eat them!
- Watch some college football! (SEC is best, but make do with whatever is closest to you! HA!—that little zinger was for my Ohio State friends!)
- Make time for a chat with a friend. It’s even better if she brings lunch and you can curl up in big comfy chairs to catch up afterward! (Go ahead and ask me how I know this! Thank you, Jody!!)
- Take some time to read a book or make some new art!
- Have breakfast with someone special—and go somewhere new or unusual.
Whatever you decide, if it makes you happier, it will also make those who are closest to you happier, as well. That’s part of the joy of sharing love and life and lots of laughter…now, don’t forget to let me know what you do! I might want to add it to my list, too!