They say it takes at least 21 days for humans to develop a new behavior into a habit. We’re on Day 6. Day 21 may seem like a long way away for some of us right now. That’s why placing daily reminders around us makes so much sense. We need to be reminded of our goals in tangible ways until our minds have the patterns really imprinted…even then, reminders are a pretty great thing.
Here are just a few of the things my friends and I are using to remind us of NO COMPLAIN NOVEMBER:
- Audrey is using red & yellow leaves.
- I’m using 2 bracelets–one from my friend Patty and one from my friend Jody. The purple hearts remind me of Psalm 51:10, which says, “Create in my a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” Asking for a clean heart and a right spirit along with the reminder that I am blessed makes it more difficult for me to even THINK about complaining!
- Betty says she’s being simple and direct with herself by just looking in the mirror every morning and saying, “No complaining!”
- Patty called yesterday to tell me that she’s finally hit on her reminder, as well. She’s one of those naturally cheery people and she usually wears a bright red nail polish. For NO COMPLAIN NOVEMBER, however, Patty has painted her nails black. It is a way to remind her to keep the darkness as far away from her as she can, she says. It’s a simple, but dramatic change for her and it seems to be working.
- Jody is starting her day off reading Scripture and then she might write verses on a note card to put on her fridge. When she feels herself starting to become complacent, she wears a small bell necklace. The sound of the bell is a good reminder for her.
- Lisa says that she’s been using all of the texts our group has been sending back and forth…so I guess I’d better go send some more! (grin!) Accountability is actually a lot of fun!
If you’re using something specific, feel free to share it with us! It might help make NO COMPLAIN NOVEMBER easier–and more fun!–for someone else!!
Grace & Peace!