Can I just make a few of observations here today? (And since it’s my blog I’m going to proceed, so just nod, ok?)
- Either yesterday was the most terrible “Day After” EVER or there are there are a lot more people who need to join us in celebrating NO COMPLAIN NOVEMBER than we thought. (and, FYI, that was an independently confirmed observation, not a complaint, but don’t get me started on that!)
- Oddly–THANKFULLY!!–both President-elect Trump and former Secretary Clinton along with President Obama led the way and delivered strong, conciliatory speeches hoping to reunite the country and move us forward. PLEASE feel free to follow their lead in this!!
- No matter who you voted for, you are NOT all the horrible labels that were hurled your way yesterday…otherwise God would have mentioned it.
- He didn’t mention it. I promise.
- Instead, He said that you are loved. (Lamentations 3:22-23)
- He said that you are cherished. (Jeremiah 31:3)
- He said that you WOULD be held responsible for your words and your deeds. (Matthew 12:36)
- He said you need to be kind. (Ephesians 4:32)
- He said forgiveness is not only possible, but realistic…if you ask Him. (1 John 1:9)
- That forgiveness-thing? He’s serious about that, but that name-calling stuff is going to have to stop.
Seriously. It’s going to have to stop. I know that all of the divisiveness can’t be erased overnight. It wasn’t limited to just one campaign. The rancor and name-calling was the hallmark of both major parties/candidates and it went on too long and too deeply for it to fade away quickly. It DOES need to start, though, by supporters in BOTH camps and soon.
Speaking the truth in love is critical to our being able to unite and work for the common good. However, most of what we heard and saw yesterday was neither truth, nor love–it was just critical. What kind of influence did YOU bring to the national conversation yesterday? Think about it: how willing would you be to work with those who called you what you called them yesterday? If you really want your side to be heard and your agenda to be advanced, we’re going to need to work on our people skills, people!!
Consider doing your part to make that change today? Personally, I’d really appreciate it…because it would make MY NO COMPLAIN NOVEMBER celebration a LOT easier to celebrate. That may sound pretty selfish, but I think it would probably help you with yours, too. At the very least, we all wouldn’t have to feel like we need a shower and a week in solitary just to recover from a short visit on Facebook.
Grace and Peace! (and NO COMPLAINTS!)
“Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.” Colossians 4:6 (NKJV)
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29 (NIV)