Happy Friday, everyone! I’ve been thinking about this challenge for awhile and I woke up this morning with the perfect verse to go with it! Are you ready for something amazing?!
“Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.” Proverbs 3:27 (NIV)
I also like the NLT translation of this verse which phrases it this way:
“Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them.”
We’ve all read this one before and many people also tie it in with Galatians 6:10 (ESV), which says:
“So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.”
Did you notice the wording in these three Scripture references? Go back and read them again.
- All three talk about doing “good”, but they don’t list specific actions that we’re to do. That means we have lots of options to consider! (Let’s think of something really difficult, ok?)
- Proverbs 3:27 says that there are people out there who actually deserve for us to do good to them! They are DUE for some blessing from us! (Some of them, in fact, might actually be OVER-due…oops!)
- That NIV translation also lets us know that we have the power to act. (Doesn’t knowing that make you feel great? We actually have power!! Let’s not waste it!!)
- The New Living Translation of that verse brings in the idea that when we act, we’re also supposed to help people. (uh-oh. That sounds like we’re going to actually have to DO something!)
- Paul’s word to the Galatians is that we’re going to have some opportunities come our way–and we need to take advantage of them. (Good old Paul.)
So, what monumental task am I asking you to do this weekend? Become an observer…and then, become an encourager. Become a reinforcer of good choices or behavior. Become someone who sees the good in those around you…and lets them know. Become a person of influence!
Oh, my goodness, what a tall order! (well, yes…and no.)
Your challenge this weekend is to be a compliment-giver! Is that all? No! Of course not! Here are your parameters:
- You have to give at least 3 GENUINE compliments to people you see regularly in your life. (This does not include things like, “Well, I see you finally got a decent haircut.)
- Work them into your conversations, send a card or email, leave a sticky note, or write it in lipstick on the bathroom mirror–I’m not picky about how you deliver these blessings!
- THEN extend your gaze outside your normal circle…and do the same thing for 3 people you don’t know that well. (Oh, my word! Are you serious?! Yes. This is your opportunity to bring a smile and a warm fuzzy to people you may never see again…unless, of course, they decide they want to become friends with someone who is so nice to strangers!)
- And last, but not least: No one can know you’re on assignment! Smile and make it seem natural! Have fun with it! This is heady stuff! In fact, you just might become addicted to this one and repeat it over and over and over…Who knows how many lives you can influence in just this simple thing?